Boarder vs Flatmate

5 September 2018


Boarder versus Flatmate





For tax, if you receive boarder income under the threshold, then you don’t have to return this income for tax.  This is great if you have a low or debt free personal house, as you are then making a great profit but not having to pay any tax on it.

Whereas, for tax, you do need to declare any flatmate income and you can claim any expenses against this.  If you have a high debt on your personal house, this might even result in a tax-deductible loss.
Boarder Threshold for 2018 year:

  • $266 a week for first boarder
  • Another $266 a week for second boarder
  • Another $218 a week for third boarder
  • Another $218 a week for fourth boarder

So, four boarders, the income could be $968 per week, and not taxed!
Boarder vs Flatmate
So, what is the difference?
A boarder is where you provide a lot more than simply a room.  For example, you might have an international student who pays $250 per week, for 2 meals a day, sheets and linen provided and washed, use of the other areas of the house, all furniture provided, power and internet.  The key difference in my mind, is that food is generally provided (not just the grocery bill shared or split), and this needs to be more than just some tea and coffee.
A flatmate generally rents a room, then pays a share of the power, a share of internet, and often provides their own furniture.  So, if the power bill is higher, they pay more.  Flatmates might put in money and share the food costs, but it is not one person supplying all the food and meals as part of the weekly amount charged.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Kind regards
Ross Barnett 


Contact Us

For further enquiries or to arrange a free 10-minute no-obligation phone consultation about
your situation and what Coombe Smith can do for you, please email, phone or fill out our contact form. 

We'd love to hear from you!


YES! I want to learn more
about property investments.